Everything here is designed to make you feel good.

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Childlike Before Jesus

By Bernadette Purto

"I am happy because I met Pastor Sonny, I am happy because I attended the KIDS Church, I am happy because Pastor Sonny prayed that I'll be back to church again" ... these are top three on the happy list of my son when I asked him one night why he is happy. When it was my daughter's turn to speak, uttered in different manner, I heard the same answers from her. Tears fell from my eyes as I knew well then that the Lord is very much delighted.

Two weeks earlier that night, my two younger kids, a boy age 8 and a girl age 5 finally had an opportunity to attend our KIDS Church, a long awaited answer to months of daily prayers. Memory of that day linger to their hearts as much as it refreshes me to remember their leaps and jumps through the escalator to get to the 3rd level of the building were the service is to be held. Their excitement couldn't be contained and their joy was overwhelming. It's amazing how God birthed into their hearts that great desire to be in the church, meet the pastor for the 1st time and participate in service.

God's power over every situation is awesome! My children have long received from their father an absolute restriction to attend Christian Service. For months, the kids have been pounding for approval that always met denial. Yet, God remained at works in their hearts, nurturing continuously the word implanted in them. Their minds may be young to conceive every letters of the holy scriptures but beyond doubt, they are spirit filled inside. They may have never been to any service nor experience praise and worship with believers but their glimpse of the fellowship is enough to fuel their longing to be part of God's family.

"Truly, I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 18:3).

Children listen, obey and trust immediately. They know little but they listen. They are carefree but they obey. They are incapable but they trust. How many of us hear and know much about the word but turn a deaf ear to the Lord? How many of us are called for a mission but denied each and every opportunity? How many of us are equipped and empowered but doubt God's promises?

"Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven" (Matthew 18:4).

Great Christians listen carefully to God's word. Great Christians obey Jesus like a little child. Great Christians trust completely the Lord's command.

We are all called to greatness because we serve a Great and Mighty God. And I am happy because I am part of God's family. I have a Father in heaven and I am his child on earth. I was bought for a great price and redeemed from darkness that I may fulfill his purpose for my life: "to love him, to be a part of his family, to become like him, to serve him, and to tell others about him" (The Purpose Driven Life, Rick Warren).



Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Bernadette_Purto

1 comment:

Richard said...

Yes, Christians do need to obey Jesus like a little child.

This includes his command in Luke 12:33, "Sell what you have and give to those in need".

What Jesus meant was:-

His disciples/followers should not have more than the poorest (where they live) are able to have.

You cannot have faith in Jesus if you are not prepared to do what he says.

I have a website at http://www.veergild.com which may make this clearer.