Everything here is designed to make you feel good.

Friday, August 1, 2008

What Does It Mean To Pray “in Jesus’ Name?”

"...I assure you, most solemnly I tell you, that My Father will grant you whatever you ask in My Name [as presenting all that I AM]." John 16:23 The Amplified Bible.

Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ,

Do you ever say, "In Jesus' Name, Amen!" very quickly at end of a prayer as if they were either magic words to ensure your prayer would be answered, or have you ever treated them as if they were just the standard thing to say to indicate the prayer was done--sort of like "over and out", "so long", or "later, God?" I must admit that I have done so.

No, these are not "magic words" we tack on the end of a prayer nor are they a way of saying, "I'm through praying for now." They are words that say everything about what gives us the right to pray to God in the first place.

God wants us to realize that when we say these words we are putting our whole faith for our prayers to be answered not in who we are or in what we have done but in the person of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior and what He has done at the cross.

My good name cannot save me. Your good name cannot save you. Your pastor's good name--or the name of Billy Graham or Mother Teresa cannot save us nor answer our prayers. Only our brother in Christ, our Intercessor, our Mediator and Advocate with the Father--Jesus Christ--can do that.

Only one Name is our salvation, our deliverance, our healing, our wholeness, wellness, provision, prosperity, and safety.

"Up to this time you have not asked a [single] thing in My Name [as presenting all that I AM]; but now ask and keep on asking and you will receive, so that your joy (gladness, delight) may be full and complete. I have told you these things in parables (veiled language, allegories, dark sayings); the hour is now coming when I shall no longer speak to you in figures of speech, but I shall tell you about the Father in plain words and openly (without reserve)." John 16:24-25 (Amp)

Through God's grace and Jesus finished work on the cross you and I have been accepted by the Father. We are living in the time Jesus spoke about when He said,

"At that time you will ask (pray) in My Name; and I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf [for it will be unnecessary]. For the Father Himself [tenderly] loves you because you have loved Me and have believed that I came out from the Father." John 16:26-27 (Amp)

That is why, in the spirit of Hebrews 4:16 (Amp) we can say,

"Let us then fearlessly and confidently and boldly draw near to the throne of grace (the throne of God's unmerited favor to us sinners), that we may receive mercy [for our failures] and find grace to help in good time for every need [appropriate help and well-timed help, coming just when we need it]."

Let's remember to slow down as we come to the end of our prayers. Let's close, instead, by saying something like this: "Father, I ask all this not based on what I have or have not done but based on Jesus and His finished work at the cross. Amen."

Love,
Brother Bill

By: BrotherBill

Brother Bill is the creator and webmaster of Everyday Christianity, which provides ministry and resources for Christian families. This article may be shared freely as long as it includes this resource box and a link back to the website at Everyday Christianity.

No comments: