Everything here is designed to make you feel good.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

God's Supply: What He's Got, You've Got!

by BILL WALKER

And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19 NKJV Dear Brothers and Sisters in Christ, I’m thinking today about the phrase according to. Strong’s Greek Lexicon defines this phrase as used in Philippians 4:19: by, after the manner of, by any means, beyond measure We can see that the phrase according to does not mean only that God supplies our need from His riches in glory, but after the manner of His riches. For example, Bill Gates, I believe, is the richest man in the United States-surely one of the richest. He could quite easily supply some of my financial need from his earthly riches. He could do that by giving me $100. That amount would not go far but he would be supplying me from his riches. However, if he were to supply my need after the manner of his riches he would be treating me as if his riches were mine. I would be living after the manner of Bill Gates! That is what God promises us—in greater terms than what could be offered us by any earthly billionaire! Besides, Gates could give me only money. (Yes, I said “only” money!) He could not supply “all my need.” Although the need for money is often on our mind first, this verse is not limited to money-although this verse speaks to that need as well. “All your need” includes spiritual, physical, emotional, relational, and mental need as well. Look at this verse in the Amplified version, which incorporates the fullness and richness of what the original Greek says: “And my God will liberally supply (fill to the full) your every need according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” It says “liberally supply” and “fill to the full“. Even if I could get some billionaire to give me access to his fortune (a fantasy), that would give me just unlimited wealth (Yes, I said “just unlimited wealth“-believe it or not there are many things I want more!) So here’s the promise. Substituting our definition Philippians 4:19 would read: “And my God will liberally supply (fill to the full) your every need after the manner of His riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” But don’t forget the “in Christ Jesus” part. This is not “name it and claim it” or “blab it and grab it.” This is the promise of our Heavenly Father to the believer as he concentrates on seeking (and finding) Him. Remember Jesus’ words: Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? “Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. Matthew 6:30-34 NKJV If you have a relationship with your Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, you’ve been grafted into the body of Christ and this promise is yours. Love, Brother Bill

Brother Bill is the creator and webmaster of Everyday Christianity, which provides ministry and resources for Christian families. This article may be shared freely as long as it includes this resource box and a link back to the website at Everyday Christianity.

No comments: