Everything here is designed to make you feel good.

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

One Old Man's Remarkable Encounter With the Living God Has Much to Teach Us About Leadership

By Sandy Shaw

Can you imagine the scene? An ordinary bush is ablaze with God and something dramatic is about to happen. Read the full account of this exciting and informative encounter in Exodus Chapter 3. Reach for your Bible and check out the remarkable detail.

God approaches Moses and calls Moses and God was in the bush! Deuteronomy Chapter 33 verse 16. I never saw that until quite recently!

This was a turning point in human history. A dry dead old bush whose life had long gone! What a lesson. What can God do with a life that resemble a dry dead old bush?

Moses saw that the bush was on fire and that it was not being burned, consumed or destroyed. Fire attracts. Fire got Moses attention.

God called him, "Moses, Moses". Moses heard his name, and here God revealed His Name!

God knows our name - God knows all about us - and he knows the right moment to speak to us and call us and challenge us - and even attract our attention.

The Holy Spirit knows when it is opportune to draw us to Christ.

Moses answers - "here I am". There are times when we have to go and find out what God is doing and saying. We have to make the effort as we respond.

No closer - take off your sandals - for the place where you are standing is holy ground. "I AM the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."

Moses hid his face - he was afraid to look at God. God was near. God was real.

When God calls us and speaks to us - it should shake us - draw us up.

Then the Lord says - I have seen - I have heard - I am concerned - I have come down - what grace and love and mercy and compassion - in abundance.

After He had said all these wonderful things - he adds - verse 10 - so now go - for I am sending you to Pharaoh - to bring my people the Israelites out of Egypt.

God can take you from one situation to another, and it can be remarkably sudden.

Moses, you are the man I have chosen to do this work.

We are called in Christ to co-operate. We are called to be participants and not mere spectators.

Moses, I have done so much - now you are going to do the rest!

We see in Moses a strange unwillingness to do what the Living God was calling him to do. 40 years ago he would have jumped at the job. He had tried to do this job before the time was right and he bungled it - ending up murdering someone.

Five times he tries to get out of it. At 40 he had been too hasty - too eager - using the wrong methods at the wrong time.

"Who am I?" When I was a prince in Egypt I could have done this work, but now, well Lord, I think you have the wrong man!

It is good to feel this insignificant - especially when God has drawn this close to you - but wrong if it drives you away from the work God has called you to.

"Lord, I couldn't do that - and the Lord has to say - O I know that - I know you can't do it - and won't do it - I'll do it - but through you.

Moses, I am not insignificant - I can do it - and I will do it - but I need you!

Moses begins to argue with God - and we see something of the sheer patience of God, and Almighty God begins to reason with Moses.

Never argue back. Leaders must learn that lesson as early as possible. That is weakness and rebellion and sheer stupidity.

Sandy Shaw

Sandy Shaw is Pastor of Nairn Christian Fellowship, Chaplain at Inverness Prison, and Nairn Academy, and serves on The Children's Panel in Scotland, and has travelled extensively over these past years teaching, speaking, in America, Canada, South Africa, Australia, making 12 visits to Israel conducting Tours and Pilgrimages, and most recently in Uganda and Kenya, ministering at Pastors and Leaders Seminars, in the poor areas surrounding Kampala, Nairobi, Mombasa and Kisumu.

He broadcasts regularly on WSHO radio out of New Orleans, and writes a weekly commentary at http://www.studylight.org entitled "Word from Scotland" on various biblical themes, as well as a weekly newspaper column.

His M.A. and B.D. degrees are from The University of Edinburgh, and he continues to run and exercise regularly to maintain a level of physical fitness.

Sandy Shawsandyshaw63@yahoo.com

No comments: